What is keyboard
The keyboard is the most common and very popular indirect input device used to input data to the computer. The layout of the keyboard is like that of traditional typewriter, although there are some additional keys provided for performing additional function.
Keyboards are of two sizes 84 key or 101/102 keys, about now keyboards with 104 keys or 108 keys are available for window and internet. The first six alphabets of keyboards are Q, W, E, R, T, Y that is why it is also called QWERTY keyboard. The basic groups of keys on a standard keyboard are described as:
- Typing keys. These keys include the same letter, numbers, punctuation, and symbol keys found on a traditional typewriter.
- control keys. These kays are used alone or in combination with other keys perform certain action. The most frequently used control keys are CTRL, ALT the window logo key, and ESC.
- Function keys. The function keys are used to perform a specific task. They are labeled as F1, F2, F3, F4, and so on, up to F12. The functionality of these keys differs from the program.
- Navigation keys. These keys are used for moving around documents or webpages and editing text. They include the arrow keys, HOME, END, PAGE UP, Page DOWN, DELETE, and INSERT.
- Numeric keys. The numeric keyboard in handly for entering numbers quickly. The keys are grouped together in a block like a conventional calculator or editing machine.