It is also called a star network. Star topology is one of the most commonly used network layouts in the world. It is suitable for both small and medium networks. In the configuration, every node connects to the central network called hub or switch. All the nodes in the network communication through the central switching device.
Working of Star topology
Star topology is the most common typer of topology used in homes and offices. It is a type of topology in which all of the computers and devices on the network connect to a central device, Tus forming a star-like shape. The central device that provides a common connecting point for all the nodes is called a switch. The central network device takes the request from one node which wants to send the data and broadcasts it to all the connected devices. The device whose address is attached to the data receives the data.
- It is very easy to install and manage the network
- It is easy to troubleshoot this network type.
- Adding new nodes or replacing the old ones does not affect the whole network.
- More expensive than bus topology as each and required a separate cable.
- Additional devices slow down the network
- Entire network shuts down if the central switch goes off.